4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites
3 large eggs
1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler over barely simmering water or in the microwave.
3. Whisk flour, cocoa and salt in a medium bowl.
4. Beat egg whites, eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer or whisk until smooth. Add applesauce, oil and vanilla; beat until blended. Add the chocolate-butter mixture; beat until blended. Add the flour mixture and mix at low speed just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips. Scrape the batter into the prepared baking dish, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with nuts, if desired.
5. Bake the brownies until the top springs back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Cut into bars.
For a mocha flavor, in Step 4 stir in 4 teaspoons instant coffee granules dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water.
EATING WELL, where good taste meets good health