Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Spinach Turkey Wild Rice Soup














Okay, my family thinks I'm losing it. I have to take pictures before they can dive into the food. LOL This soup I just created is so yummy, I had to share.

There aren't really turkey leftovers, you know. In fact, I always have to make a second or third turkey after a holiday just to keep us in turkey recipes. I was thinking about that other recipe with chicken and decided to have a go at something different. This is what I came up with. Tweak anything if you like more or less. My family loves leeks.

19 oz can chicken broth
3 c water
4 oz (1/2 - 3/4 c) wild rice
1 leek, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 carrot or several baby carrots, chopped
1 bunch fresh spinach, chopped
1 pkg 1.68 oz Mrs. Grass's Homestyle Vegetable Soup
2 - 3 c chopped cooked turkey (or chicken)
1 8 oz can diced water chestnuts

Mix all except water chestnuts together and bring to a boil. The wild rice needs at least 45 minutes, so about an hour is sufficient cooking time, or simmer on low for a couple hours. Add water chestnuts last if you want the crunch.
Serve with croutons.

I bought this package shown here, and they are awesome!

No comments: