Saturday, October 13, 2007

Cheryl's Rhubarb Crisp


Rhubarb is a perennial vegetable that grows well in most of the United States. Rhubarb is used in pies, tarts and sauces. Wish I had my own.

My friend, Karen, offered to cut rhubarb and bring it to the city if I'd come to her husband's business and pick it up. I was there with taste buds on alert! I had enough for several quarts of sauce (we eat it over chocolate cake) a crisp and two gallon bags diced in the freezer! I didn't know what we were having for supper last night, but dessert was definitely on the menu. This is a recipe I've developed by tweaking over the years.

Cheryl's Rhubarb Crisp

5 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or allspice

Stir and spread in the bottom of lightly sprayed 9X13 pan.

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
a pinch of salt
1 heaping cup rolled oats
1 cup butter or margarine

Mix dry ingredients, cut in butter with a pastry cutter. Sprinkle over top of rhubarb. You'll need to use your fingers to spread it.

Bake 40 minutes.
Variations:
Add strawberries to the rhubarb; add cinnamon to the topping.
Serve with cream or ice cream. Serve warm or cold.

No comments: